Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bags to away the Blues


Due to the fact it is a horrible day the cold I have been ignoring for the past three days has laid me low. Thank you Liam for sharing, I love you too.
I am aiming to go to the Papamoa Markets on Sunday to sell some more stuff. In keeping with my permaculture practices I am trying to earn a small amount of money in a way I can enjoy. So I have been having a clean out and selling off all the surplus stuff we carted out here when we moved five months ago. I have already been twice and the pile is not getting any smaller despite reasonably good sales.
While I am selling my stuff, I have been developing my products to sell. I have been making paper mache bowls, painting them and planting them with leafy lettuces, then growing them to picking size and selling the whole bowls at the market. The theory behind them is I recycle the paper, the paint comes from trade painters, is free, decorates the bowls and provides stability. At the moment I buy in potting mix but I am composting madly so the soil will be sustainable. The seed I am buying from Kings Seeds organic range and they post it in recyclable postage bags. When the lettuces are grown to a height of about 10 to 15 cm you cut the whole bowl about 5cm from the soil and eat the lettuce leaves, then grow and cut again at least three times before planting in your garden or composting the bowl and all.
I have also been making kids costumes (sewing - me - who'd have thought) out of material I get from the Funky Junk Depot, a store of surplus household and business 'rubbish'. It cost $20 per year to join and you can take as much as you like. The only downfall is it is in Tauranga where I only get to about once a month so I have to take the pickings from those who live nearer.
Today while I was sitting around feeling sorry for myself I decided to sew some cheap reusable bags from left over material to sell at the markets. My hope is people might stop asking for plastic bags to put their purchases in if they can buy a material bag.
Now it's up to the weather and the mood of the crowd on Sunday to see how my goods sell.

No comments: