Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gardening again

A beautiful sunny bay of Plenty day once again. After a quick walk to town to look at the Lion's bookfair where I picked up some lovely informative books on herbs and cooking vegetables, I decided to do a little gardening.
I planted my two plum trees I had bought on Sunday from Petal Pushers in Papamoa. This has to be the friendliest garden centre I've come across for a long while. And the prices are lower than anywhere else around this area. I highly recommend dropping in for a look if you are in the area.
Planting the plums was a bit of a challenge as the back lawn is solid clay and after two days rain I have to say it wasn't any easier to dig a hole. After working up a bit of a sweat I tackled the stony corner of the bank in my fruit forest to plant an orange berry (also from petal pushers). This was even more of a mission, first scrap off the layer of weedy grass, the scrape out the gravel only to find a layer of thick foam and polythene. Hack a hole through this and I found some dirt to plant into. I think it is lucky orangeberries are weeds and extremely hardy. If it dies I'll admit defeat for that corner. The Bay tree I traded for some strawberry plants went into the herb garden and the orange tamarillo (also a trade) went in the fruit forest between the fejoia and an apple.
I then set about planting a heap of little lettuce plants from my lettuce bowls that had failed into the garden. The onions I put in last week look great and the peas are starting to flower.
Lots more to do but once again I have run out of money. Off to the markets again on Sunday to see if I can earn some more.

No comments: