Thursday, June 5, 2008

First frost of the year!


I thought it was a bit nippy when I woke yesterday. One look outside informed me to the reason. We had the first frost of the year. Good way to welcome in World Environment Day, at least with a frost the day was lovely. Sent the kids off to school early due to the extremely high levels of fighting and arguing going on. Peace and sunshine followed.
We'd spent the weekend cutting down the only three trees on our section, two camellias and a flowering cherry. I have discovered that the best way to meet the neighbours has to be to start chopping things down. The comments ranged from - How could you, now you can see into my house - to - have you got a minute to cut mine down too. I have to say that Jim is just not that interesting and we now have made some chutney making friends. The mulching pile is still huge, lucky Craig has next week off.
Anyway back to the garden. I had spent the day before stealing strawberry runners from a friends garden and had bought two apple trees on dwarf root stock and a raspberry. I spent the entire morning putting in plants and pulling weeds, planting seeds and planning what to do next.
Today we have no frost only a cold wind from the south and rain. Think I'll stay inside and plan some more.

No comments: